Last Updated on September 29, 2017 6:06 pm
This morning I made a big mistake. I went to a local business networking meeting.
Haven’t been to one for years and years. I’m not knocking networking. I know it works well for some people. It’s just not my cup of tea.
When I got good at marketing about 8 years ago, I quickly lost my appetite for it.
However, right now I’m looking for an investor for a property project, so I thought I’d give it a go.
Within minutes, I remembered what I hate about networking
Today’s meeting had the usual hallmarks:
- A room full of sellers and no buyers
- The uncomfortable mix between a business event, and a social occasion (people who see each other all the time at the same events, but don’t actually know each other, or even like each other)
- Getting trapped with the person who won’t stop talking about themselves
- Greasy overpriced full English breakfast
- The obsession over arranging lengthy, aimless 121s for the sake of it (why do people place so little value on their precious time?)
- The accountant who said he’s not like other accountants
- The utility sales person
- The person who introduced themselves as a holistic NLP practitioner
Please, please don’t think I’m arrogant. I’m not arrogant. I’m just focused. There’s a big difference.
I have very clear goals, and I am precious with my time to make sure I move closer to those goals every day.
Entrepreneur Jim Rohn famously said that we are the average of the five people we spend the most time with
(Jim died a few years ago, but his legacy lives on)
So shouldn’t we pick those people more carefully?
This is why I run the Profit Accelerator, only for IT support companies that are hungry to grow.
Spend more time with me and a small number of other business owners just like you.
I now have just four spaces left for my Profit Accelerator (two in Milton Keynes, two in Manchester).
These will be the last Profit Accelerator groups I set up. Only because the amount of time I have available for these groups is being pressured by other projects.